Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blogging

Posting my first blog seemed like an easy task at first, but once I started trying to get things organized, I became apprehensive to actually "publish" my comments and try to live up to some of the blogs in the ultra running community. Having the beginnings of a blog page started I figured the day has finally arrived to, at the very least, jot a couple of thoughts down and get this thing rolling...so bear with me.

Just finished a solid couple of weeks of training in my preparation for the Kettle Moraine 100 on June 7-8. Last week I was able to put in 80 miles with a long run of 35 miles at Hyland Park on Saturday. It was a soggy slog, but effective in its results...tired legs and feeling like I had more to give.

The previous week I put in a total of 70 miles with a combination of a 30/20 on two consecutive days. I have heard from a number of sources that pairing the 30/20 run concept can be a good way of preparing for a 100 miler without having to put your body through the rigors of extremely long runs. Running 30 miles one day and running 20 miles the next is a training tool to simulate running on tired legs, mind and attitude. My experience included running 30 miles at Hyland Park that ended up going into the evening hours and testing my headlamp and night running skills, followed by an early morning run about 7 hours later of 20 miles along the Minnehaha Creek and River road in Minneapolis. I definitely found what I was looking for during the last 10 miles of that run. I would recommend this training concept to anyone preparing for 50-100 mile races that has a good base of training. I guess I'll find out how effective it was in about a month.

This is a recovery week for me that includes some runs on the shorter side and lots of active recovery, stretching and rolling (massage). This week ends with the Superior Trail 50K on Saturday. I'm looking forward to getting back up on the SHT...it is such a blast to run that trail!

Congratulations go out to Matt Patten on his strong performance at the Ice Age 50 on Saturday, finishing 7 min. ahead of last years time and having some war wounds to show for it. Nice job Matt!

One last note:
At the end of the day, I hope that the information I pass along will be somewhat interesting and sometimes helpful for athletes and non athletes alike.

...maybe this blogging gig won't be as hard as I thought.

3 comments:

Kel said...

Brent, I found your blog from Matt's. Don't worry - blogging actually gets easier once you get a few posts under your belt. You've got a solid first post and a beautiful picture, so you're off to a good start!

Hope to meet you at Superior this weekend - I'll just be doing the 25K.

I'll link you up to my blog - please let me know if you'd like me to remove it.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

The 30/20 thing sounds challenging! Hope it works well for you.

Nice blog - I'll check back (I found it through Matt's too).

Matthew Patten said...

Great blog Brent!

You need to explain the birch legs, I don't get it.

Sorry I missed you after the race. My phone was not working up there.

You did awemsome, especially considering you took a wrong turn. I assume it was right after Rollins Creek.

I don't think I could keep up with you at Kettle, but I am thinking about joining you at the start.

I thought of you yesterday when the half fallen trees were creaking in the wind, hoping they would not fall on me. I figure you have heard that crawling into falling/burning buildings.

Scary! (Jason Hosuveth and I hear one fall just West of Moose.

About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, MN, United States