Monday, June 2, 2008

So close

When the expiration date on a jug of milk is past the date of a big event...it's time to step up and be ready. Counting the days on one hand makes me nervous. My first 100 is so close it has become a constant daily distraction. I haven't been this amped up and excited about a race since 2001, when I competed in Ironman USA in Lake Placid, NY. This is what I was looking for out of a big event like this...something beyond the hardest thing I have done so far. Bring it on.

Last week I ran 30.5 miles on the heels of a 76 mile week which was preceded by the Superior 50K. This was my lowest weekly mileage since the second week of February! It feels good, but now I know why I usually have a short taper...I am so antsy I almost can't stand it. A two week taper seems like it is working for me, but I can't help but feel like I am loosing my edge on training. I know I'm not, but this is a mental game I always play during a taper period. I know my body is loving the rest...I can feel all the little nagging aches and pains that had become "normal" going away.

This week is very easy mileage wise, with a couple of 6 milers and a 10 miler tomorrow. I am a morning runner but I have been trying to run in the "heat" of the afternoon when the temps present themselves. This has been a challenge because of the cool spring. I don't know how much more I can acclimate for an 80 degree day on Saturday...but I figure it can't hurt.

Here is a quote by Triathlon Legend Scott Tinley:

"To some extent, we are all labeled by what we're able to achieve. But more importantly, we are defined by what we attempt." --Scott Tinley

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Brent!! We are so excited for your race, and are rooting you on from Waconia!! It's been so much fun to read through your blog and understand a little bit more about what you are doing. Great blogging!

Good luck this weekend!

Love
Rach and Dave

Adam said...

Brent,

It's funny reading this post, as I could simply copy it and post it on my blog! Thinking the same thing down to running the final few segments at midday!

Matthew Patten said...

I don't like the 3 week taper either. But, I did it this time considering the circumstances.

Looks like it could be a warm Saturday.

See you soon.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Good Luck!

Kel said...

I have a feeling your gonna bag your first hundred this weekend. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, MN, United States